It can be hard to keep the magic of Christmas alive when your curious kids or sleuthing spouse keeps digging around to find out what they’ll get to unwrap. And it’s not just the snooping family you need to hide gifts from, porch pirates are on the prowl, so we have to protect our presents from them too. These tips and tricks may help keep your packages safe before you get them inside and help with in-home spy-proofing too.
- Consider packaging- Pay attention during checkout because some items aren’t shipped in boxes or padded envelopes and come in original packaging, but some retailers - like Amazon - have options so you can conceal the item.
- Protect with a password- Put passcodes on your apps and use a password to protect your shopping list on your phone and computer to hide it from any snooping eyes.
- Monitor notifications- Sign up for email, text, and app alerts so you know when that package is on its way and you can grab it before anyone else does.
- Use in-store pick up and Amazon lockers- If you’re worried about theft, you can choose in-store pickup at stores including Target, Walmart, and Macy’s, and Amazon Lockers are available in 900 cities with locations ranging from 7-Eleven stores to apartment lobbies.
- Pick up at alternative locations- Delivery carriers can also redirect to alternative locations like stores. FedEx packagescan be picked up at FedEx locations and stores including Walgreens and Kroger. UPS packages can be sent to The UPS Store, CVS or Michaels.
- Ship it to work- Have packages sent to your office if your workplace allows.
- Schedule delivery- FedEx and UPS websites allow you to choose days or time windows that work best for you.
- Once the packages are inside, hide them well- Now that your gifts are safe from porch pirates, you have to keep the kids and maybe some adults from finding them. Go for unexpected places, like inside suitcases, coolers, empty trash cans, or take them to a friend’s house.