Officials Hope Changes Will Improve Traffic

posted by NewsRadio 920 -WHJJ - 

(Providence, RI)  --  The Rhode Island Department of Transportation is announcing steps it's taking to alleviate traffic congestion that became the norm last week on Interstate 195.  The misery for motorists going westbound from East Providence to Providence was a result of work that's being done on the Washington Bridge.  RIDOT director Peter Alviti Jr. said on Sunday that contractors worked throughout the weekend to re-institute a fourth lane on the interstate, allowing traffic coming from the Route 44-Taunton Avenue on-ramp to have its own lane and not to have to merge with traffic already on I-195.  Alviti said the new plan is to keep at least four lanes open during the length of the project, which is expected to take a year and a half.

title

Content Goes Here