(Newport, RI) -- A man who says he was a witness on the day a car driven by Newport billionaire Doris Duke killed designer Eduardo Tirella in 1966 is coming forward. An article published Thursday in Vanity Fair by Peter Lance, who wrote a book last year which claims Duke deliberately hit Tirella, indicates the now-68-year-old individual was a paperboy who heard what happened, but did not see it. He kept the details committed to memory but said he did not share them because his father told him not to for fear of retaliation. Duke died in 1993.
photo: Getty Images (file)